|The Latvian Association of Local and Regional Governments (LALRG) is an association unifying local and regional governments of the Republic of Latvia on the voluntary basis. It was founded on December 15, 1991. Today, in accordance with the article 96 of the "Law on Local Governments", the LALRG has the authority to represent local and regional governments in the negotiations with the Cabinet of Ministers as the LALRG associates 524 members:
- all the 7 major cities,
- all the 50 towns,
- all the 26 districts (rajons),
- 401 rural municipalities (pagasts) from the 424,
- 40 amalgamated municipalities (novads) from the 41.
- development of municipal policy in Latvia;
- municipal problem solving;
- protection of local government interests.
- to represent interests of the LALRG and its members in the state authorities and administrative institutions;
- to facilitate co-operation among Latvian local/regional governments, their associations and unions;
- to secure local governments with information and required services;
- to organise training for local government deputies and employees;
- to facilitate social protection of local government employees;
- to facilitate establishment of enterprises for solving issues of common local government interest;
- to facilitate co-operation with local governments and their organisations abroad;
- to organise establishment of local government information processing system based on unified principles.